Header img
Beyond Penn's Treaty

A Mission to the Indians from the Indian Committee of Baltimore Yearly Meeting to Fort Wayne, in 1804

Page out of 198

vein of land about one mile in width, the sur-
face of which is covered with small flint stones,
and which we are told extends for several miles.
On examining these flints, we found them of
excellent quality.

Here the Indians supply themselves with flints
for their guns and for other purposes, and here
formerly they procured their darts. It has cer-
tainly been a place abundantly resorted to from
time immemorial. This is evident from the sur-
face of the ground being dug in holes of two and
three feet in depth, over nearly the whole tract.
This flinty vein is called by the Indians Father
Flint. They have a tradition concerning its
origin which is very incredible. From this we
proceeded, and after riding two miles, reached
the place proposed by the Indians.

This place is thirty-two miles rather south of
west from Fort Wayne

, and is situated on the
Wabash, at a place called the Boat-yard, which
name it obtained from the circumstance of
General Wilkinson having built some flat,
bottomed boats here, for the purpose of tran-
sporting some of the baggage of the American
troops down the river. It was formerly the seat
of an Indian town of the Delawares, and we are
pleased to find there are about twenty-five acres
of land clear. The Wabash here makes a beau-
tiful appearance, and is about sixty yards wide.
A little above is an island in the river, on one
side of which the water runs with a strong cur-